Hang on boot in F13 RC2

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 10 02:49:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 17:42 -0400, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> All,
>
> When booting from the F13 RC2 live CD, I get a complete hang (keyboard,
> video, etc) just before going into gdm.  The plymouth "F" has completely
> filled and I can see the new animated circular mouse cursor and then the
> cursor just freezes solid and the system is completely unresponsive.
>
> I have an nvidia GeForce 8400GS and I suspect nouveau somewhere between
> the DRM and X.  doing a "rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0" works.
>
> Same system works fine with Ubuntu 10.04 either nouveau or with nvidia's
> proprietary drivers.
>
> How can I help?

It would *really* have helped if you'd told us earlier, for one thing -
basically, now, if we find a blocker bug, we have to slip the release a
week. The X stack hasn't changed since about last Wednesday, so this bug
must have been there then. :(

But, aside from that if you see a cursor, then X has at least half
started, so - can you boot to runlevel 3, without the blacklisting /
disabling modeset stuff? If so, then do that, log in, run 'startx' and
note any errors, and also post /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old after rebooting.

Ben, can you please take a look at this problem, and also maybe test RC2
on your stack of test machines? I don't actually have any NVIDIA systems
where I am now, though I think jlaska has probably tested on some.
Thanks.