low ram systems

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Mon May 10 17:06:09 UTC 2010

On Monday 10 of May 2010 18:35:22 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 21:21 +0530, A. Mani wrote:
> >> How is the F13 installer supposed to behave on low ram
> >> systems (<512)?
> >
> > You get to keep both pieces. =)
> >
> > Release notes state:
> >
> > #
> > Minimum RAM for text-mode: 256 MiB
> > #
> > Minimum RAM for graphical: 348 MiB
> > #
> > Recommended RAM for graphical: 512 MiB
> >
> > it's a very inexact science, though, it depends on exactly
> > what install media you're using and what kind of install
> > you're trying to do. We try to keep to those numbers as
> > much as possible.
>
> Ironically the installer requires two times more memory than
> LXDE recommends ( 128+ MiB ) for run time usage
> sad but true.....

not long ago, I've heard something about plans to drop text mode
support ... that would make it three times ;-)

<useless rant>
but I guess that LXDE should recommend at least 384 MiB when
running on Fedora - last week I forgot to add "-m 512" to qemu,
so I've started my virtual machine with the default of 128 MiB
and 'yum upgrade' (in text mode, init 3) got killed ... so you
need more, let's say 256 for yum + 128 for LXDE makes 384

btw, have I mentioned that 4 GiB modules are still not available
in my favourite local store, and very few Internet shops here in
Czech rep. have them (for insane prices, of course)?
</useless rant>

K.

--
Karel Volný