Fedora 13 RC #2 testing open - Installing to Multi Boot Systems

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 10 19:48:09 UTC 2010

Robert C. Lightfoot wrote:
> I raised this point with Alpha and again with Beta, but it's either been
> decided against, ignored or I've failed to state myself clearly.  The
> most recent F13.RC2 install when used on a multi-boot Fedora/Windows
> machine setup a grub which had Fedora as default and delay at zero (0).
> This meant to access Windows I had to edit grub from Fedora to change
> the delay to reach windows.
>
> If we are trying to reach and convert Windows users, then when Fedora
> Installer does a multi-boot install the default needs to allow a small
> amount of time to choose the OS and not set the timeout to 0.

I've always thought that was a security feature, to use the insecure OS you have
to know to hit the space bar during boot, or just hold down the left shift key
until you get a menu. With most BIOS you can hit space any time after POST
starts, occasionally you have to hold the shift.

I only know this because I have to support one Win95 machine and Win95 doesn't
run properly under KVM. So I have one machine which has that installed.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>