Kpackagekit can not install local RPM

Adam Williamson awilliam at
Tue May 11 10:05:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 20:13 +0100, Tommy He wrote:
> Hello,
> I am not sure whether KDE user experience would be a part of criteria
> for desktop release. Nevertheless, it still might be helpful to arise
> some attention to this issue since it was filed during Beta testing
> phase and still lies in new status now.
> Basically, kpackagekit was unable to install the RPM out of the repos.
> The attempt to install RPM from local hard drive will result an error
> message, which said "Untrusted package". Though these packages can
> still be installed via terminal way, it's not a good experience of
> non-technical users in KDE environment.
> This bug persists in F13 RC2 LiveCD KDE i686.
> The bug I filed is here:

This wouldn't be a blocker even in GNOME, but the bug sounds like
kpackagekit is either missing a PolicyKit implementation, or there's a
bug in it. What should happen at that point is it should ask you, via
PolicyKit, to enter the root password to allow the installation of an
untrusted package; what happens to you sounds like what PolicyKit would
do if the app isn't able to do the interactive authorization properly
(it'll just fall back to denying the operation).