ldap authentication problems

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 13 22:00:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:36 -0700, David L wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > On 05/11/2010 04:03 PM, David L wrote:
> >> I confirmed that nsswitch does specify ldap for passwd.  And for
> >> the user information part, it is definitely getting from ldap because
> >> if I remove ldap from the nsswitch passwd line, I get a "no such
> >> user" error instead of an authentication error.
> >
> > Oh, yeah... I wasn't thinking clearly.  You'd also need
> > /etc/pam.d/system-auth from an F12 system.
>
> OK... that got me one step closer.  I could log in using
> su and entering my ldap password.  But I couldn't log in
> from the graphical login and I couldn't ssh in.  So I also
> copied password-auth from f12 and that allowed me to
> ssh in.  Graphical login seems to get past the authorization
> step but then drops me back to the login prompt again.
> I suspect this is unrelated to authorization and just some
> incompatibility with gnome and something in my home
> directory.
>
> I tried to install KDE to test this theory, but I get this
> error:
>
> Error: Package: PackageKit-qt-0.6.3-1.fc13.i686 (fedora)
>            Requires: PackageKit = 0.6.3-1.fc13
>            Installed: PackageKit-0.6.4-1.fc13.i686 (@updates-testing)
>            Available: PackageKit-0.6.3-1.fc13.i686 (fedora)
>
> This looks like my yum repo configuration is in some
> inconsistent state.  How do I fix that... I want to end up
> with a f13 system when f13 is released.

Seems like you just have a mirror problem, possibly - I just checked a
random F13 mirror:

http://fedora.mirror.iweb.ca/updates/testing/13/x86_64/

and PackageKit-qt-0.6.4-1 is in there. Unless, for some reason, some
package specifically requires PackageKit-qt-0.6.3-1 ? It's possible that
kpackagekit has a specific 0.6.3 require and hasn't been updated for
0.6.4 yet, I guess.

hmm, that doesn't appear to be it, it requiresL

PackageKit-qt >= 0.6.3

so color me baffled.