Post install dual-head nouveau setup?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 17 09:44:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 04:02 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> I did remove the xorg.conf as well as all the nvidia packages from
> rpmfusion and the nomodeset and rdblacklist=nouveau from the grub.conf.
> I then rebooted and the primary head only came back up, but at a very
> low resolution, and using vesa. I then ran system-config-display and was
> unable to do much more than bring the primary head up to about 1024x768
> (or was it 1280x1024?) using the nouveau driver. I could not activate
> the second head at all.
>
> You mentioned xrandr... Last I knew it didn't do much. It must be the
> missing link. If it's required to configure the display it needs to be
> integrated with system-config-display though.

s-c-d is mostly deprecated (we really ought to get around to removing
it). In GNOME, use gnome-display-properties. In KDE, use krandrtray. If
the displays don't both come up at the right resolution by default,
though, then either that's a driver bug you should report, or you still
have a buglet in your configuration somewhere. The native drivers should
always bring up all connected displays at their native resolutions on
boot unless configured otherwise, that's the intended behaviour.