Post install dual-head nouveau setup?

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Mon May 17 20:32:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 18:44 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 08:42 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>
> > I have a ThinkPad W700 with a 1920x1200 nVidia display running F13beta
> > w/updates. To get 3D I also installed the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental
> > package and added nomodeset and rdblacklist=nouveau to grub.conf. The
> > result, as you say, was not pretty. No amount of futzing around with
> > xrander allowed me to increase the resolution beyond 1280x960 (I think).
> >
> > When I removed the grub.conf additions and rebooted, it came back up in
> > full 1920x1200 resolution. The nexuiz 3D game now works with just the
> > new mesa drivers, so it appears they "just work".
>
> Someone has wires crossed here. This:
>
> "added nomodeset and rdblacklist=nouveau to grub.conf"
>
> has nothing to do with 3D support using nouveau. You absolutely should
> not do it if you're using nouveau, it will break nouveau and cause you
> to get vesa instead. You only do that stuff if you're using the
> proprietary nvidia driver, not if you're using nouveau.

Adam,

My W700 has the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental installed. No 'additions'
to grub.conf. 'Display Settings' -> 'Hardware' says it's using the nv
driver, not nouveau. The nexuiz game, which requires 3D, now runs. It
did not before I installed the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package.

Exactly what's going on under the covers I haven't a clue. There was a
time when developers didn't try to cloak their work. These days we're
told "Don't worry. Be happy."

--Doc