RC3 Install Report

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 17 21:27:54 UTC 2010

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> Installed RC3 64 bit DVD on a Gigabyte ep45-up3
> and Core Duo 8500.  Installation was successful
> with the following anomalies.
>
> 1.  Extremely long pauses two times when looking
> for storage devices.  Indistinguishable from a hang
> without extreme patience.
>
> 2.  Network is brought up for time sync and submission
> of install report, then is silently shut down for login.
>
> There needs to be a user friendly way to install the
> Nvidia (or ATI) factory drivers.  Whatever Ubuntu
> does to get the job done would be a good and sufficient
> starting point.
>
> Fedor with 3d =  "I See You"

Unfortunately the folks making those decisions are more concerned with the
religious issue of free open source than "works for most people." They are
unlikely to ever make it easy to install the vendor drivers. and frequently
claim capabilities for the kernel drivers which in practice are only present for
recent top of the line 3D hardware.

If you use "nomodeset video=vesafb" boot options, you can usually get the
included drivers to run simple 2D X windows. You can go to rpmfusion and install
vendor drivers after that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>