RC3 Install Report

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 19:24:59 UTC 2010

>> As Antonio Olivares mentioned, just getting a kernel.org source to build with
>> recent drivers is an adventure, So the better support for FOSS is more in
>> principle than practice by his evaluation.
>>

> Let's face the facts.  If you are going to talk about non technical end
> users,  they are not interesting in building any kernel from source
> either.  He was answered in the users list FYI

I was just told about dracut, and that it replaces mkinitrd.  But I can't do much with answers like that.  I want to know how to apply that when I run
# make install
because it will expect mkinitrd instead of dracut.

I have asked before:
http://osdir.com/ml/users/2010-01/msg06748.html
and this is what I got:
http://osdir.com/ml/users/2010-01/msg09433.html

Not much help, since I build from source not rpm.  I don't have experience building kernels using rpm or any of the tools.  Yes I have checked out the Fedora RPM page that has been referenced here, but I can't follow it it is not foolproof/idiotproof sorry!   I am not saying that it is bad, but hard to follow :(, just easier building from source, but what can change the make install call upon dracut instead of mkinitrd?  This has not been answered.  I am waiting for a good thorough explanation or example that can work  from source?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

I have used this one:
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora

But built only from source.  How can I tell make install to use dracut instead of mkinitrd?

Regards,

Antonio