f13 sound problem

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Tue May 18 22:34:45 UTC 2010

I had a weird problem with sound on my f13 system at work.
Most things were working fine, but when I tried to configure
sound using the preferences sound menu, I got a little
window that said it was trying to connect to the sound server
but it never connected.  So I installed pavucontrol and tried
to run that... when I did, I got a hint as to the real cause of the
problem.  It gave me a message that said the home directory
is not ours or something like that.  Indeed, when I looked at files
in my home directory, they were listed as belonging to nobody.
After a little googling, I discovered this has something to do
with nfs4 and domains... I'm still not sure what the right solution
is, but a workaround was to edit auto.master to mount home
directories with vers=3.  Hopefully this will help somebody
else.

Cheers,

                  David