Heads-up: python changes hitting rawhide (optimized vs debug build)

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu May 20 20:18:22 UTC 2010

I just built python-2.6.5-9.fc14 into rawhide.

In theory, most users should see no change relative to -8.fc14

However, I've done some major surgery to the insides of the src.rpm and
how the build works; we've gained a python-debug subpackage, containing
an alternate python build that adds a ton of runtime checking (e.g. for
tracking down reference counting bugs), sharing .py/.pyc files with the
regular optimized build, but with a different ABI for the .so files

More information here:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/python-devel/2010-May/000250.html

In theory, the regular python stack should be unaffected: I'm running
with a local rebuild of this on my main F13 machine and am seeing no
issues.

Having said that the changes to the specfile were considerable.

So please be on the lookout for anything weird in Python-land in rawhide
(e.g. when rebuilding python extension modules).

Hope I didn't break anything; please file bugs if I did...
Dave