Graphically Unmounting Disk Volumes In Fedora 13

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat May 22 15:11:50 UTC 2010

One thing I constantly do is plug in something like a Passport hard
drive or a flash drive or SD Card. In Fedora 12, Gnome will display
popup windows for each of the partitions detected when you plug the unit
in. You can right-click these and select the option for "Unmount Volume"
from the context menu.

In Fedora 13, the "Unmount Volume" option has disappeared from the
context menu. I see an option for "Safely Remove ...", and this will
unmount all the partitions and then remove the entire volume, which I
don't want in the case of a volume with multiple partitions.

To unmount partitions in Fedora 13, I have to use the command line. In
my eyes, that is a step backwards.

Thanks

Bob Cochran