Graphically Unmounting Disk Volumes In Fedora 13

Tommy He tommy.he at linux.com
Sun May 23 00:14:39 UTC 2010

After having a little fun with Disk Utility, I think another
difference between 'Unmount' and 'Safely Remove' is that the latter
one would cut the power down whereas the former one wouldn't.For USB
drive case, click 'Safely Remove' button would not only unmount its
file system but also wipe it out from the /dev/ block devices.

So even for single partition device, it would also be more appropriate
to have the both options accessible in context menu.

Tommy

On 22 May 2010 23:56, Robert L Cochran <cochranb at speakeasy.net> wrote:

>> On Sat, 2010-05-22 at 18:47 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>>

>>> I definitely want to see an 'unmount' option restored.
>>>
>> It seems to me the sensible behaviour would be:
>>
>> optical disc (is there anything else that can actually be ejected?):
>> 'Eject' and 'Unmount'
>>
>> other external storage with single partition, or when right-clicking on
>> the device itself: 'Safely Remove'
>>
>> other external storage with multiple partitions, when right-clicking on
>> a partition: 'Unmount' (and 'Safely Remove' too, perhaps)
>>
>> Does that seem sensible?
>>

> That is fine with me. I can file a bug on this later tonight or tomorrow
> morning if you would like.
>
> Bob
>
> --

Take a Deep Breath out of Windows