Graphically Unmounting Disk Volumes In Fedora 13

Fred Erickson fredferickson at gmail.com
Sun May 23 19:19:16 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Gerard Braad <gbraad at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Tommy He <tommy.he at linux.com> wrote:
>> So even for single partition device, it would also be more appropriate
>> to have the both options accessible in context menu.
>
> Having two options might confuse the user; Most people are not
> technical-savvy and only want to 'Safely remove' if they do this at
> all.
>

> Gerard — 吉拉德
> --
Huh??

Most of the people who are not technical-savvy and want to remain that
way are using Window$ or Macinto$h machines. I think most Fedora users
are geeks or geek wannabe's :-) Don't dumb down Fedora by removing
useful tools from the default gui installation. For a new user, if a
tool isn't listed in a menu, it's devilish hard to learn of it's
existence.

I, for one, use the unmount command from the pop up menu every time I
plug in my usb drive used for backing up both my Fedora machine and my
Window$ machine - I unmount just the NTFS partition and keep the ext3
mounted.

Fred