Graphically Unmounting Disk Volumes In Fedora 13

Tommy He tommy.he at linux.com
Mon May 24 14:10:40 UTC 2010

On 24 May 2010 14:04, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-22 at 15:50 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-05-22 at 18:47 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>>
>> > I definitely want to see an 'unmount' option restored.
>>
>> It seems to me the sensible behaviour would be:
>>
>> optical disc (is there anything else that can actually be ejected?):
>> 'Eject' and 'Unmount'
>>
>> other external storage with single partition, or when right-clicking on
>> the device itself: 'Safely Remove'
>>
>> other external storage with multiple partitions, when right-clicking on
>> a partition: 'Unmount' (and 'Safely Remove' too, perhaps)
>>
>> Does that seem sensible?
>
> No. We never want to show unmount in the UI. It is just confusing and
> meaningless to the vast majority of users who rely on the UI. If you
> really need to unmount individual volumes, you can use the commandline.

IMO, it would not hurt anyone if Unmount option is restored. So why
not let it back?

Average user probably would not bother this unfamiliar option. If they
do try click 'Unmount', neither the device nor their files would be
hurt. Besides, they can even perform 'Safely remove'  option on a
unmounted device, too.
For the users who want more control on device, this GUI way is pretty handy.

PS: I agree that probably test list is not a good place to discuss
this issue. Maybe user list? Perhaps a public poll ? ;-P

Regards,

Tommy

> --

Take a Deep Breath out of Windows