Installed Fedora 13 RC2 On Dell Latitude E6400

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon May 24 19:13:41 UTC 2010

On 05/18/2010 08:37 AM, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> Yes I would like more details about how you do this. I can see it is useful.
>
> I assume you saw my other post explaining that I succeeded with the BIOS
> update by cloning the biosdisk git tree and using those executables. The
> rpm installation binary has an old version of biosdisk.

That should make things fairly simple, then.  If you have virtualization
set up you can use the GUI to create a VM with a 10MB hard drive.  I
think it should work with pretty much anything you've got: Virtualbox,
KVM, or Xen (HVM).  Boot the VM from the FreeDOS CD and go through the
normal installation.  Keep the installation fairly simple, since you'll
only have 10MB.

Once you're done, you can use a GRUB section just like the one that
"biosdisk" set up for you.  Copy the disk image that you just created to
your boot partition and give it a shot.  If your image file is
"fdboot.img", I think the GRUB config looks like:

title FreeDOS
	kernel /memdisk
	initrd /fdboot.img

If you have PXE set up, you can also boot the image by PXE (which is
where I'm more concerned about the size of the image):

label freedos
         kernel memdisk
         append initrd=fdboot.img

If you need to modify the image, you can use "kpartx" to set up the loop
devices and then mount the fs:

kpartx -a /boot/fdboot.img
mount /dev/mapper/loop0p1 /mnt
# manage the files in /mnt