Disable suspend on lid close but still turn display off

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Thu May 27 21:49:26 UTC 2010

so today I got my brand spanking new Dell Studio 16 XPS and so far it and
Fedora 13 seem to be a match made in heaven. Everything just works out of
the box: wifi, bluetooth, 1920x1200 display, webcam, special keys, audio,
suspend & resume. Awesome!
What I'm wondering though is how I can make the notebook just disable the
display when I close the lid instead of completely suspending. I'm planning
to use this system as my main system and to attach a larger LCD screen and
keyboard externally. I then just want to put it closed at the back of the
table however right now it just suspends so I can no longer use it.
Is there a way to turn on some kind of "docking mode" to disable the
display on lid close but otherwise leave the system running normally?