Fresh install, no network

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 00:46:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 00:07 +0000, M A Young wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > connect, but F14 is dead. The "Edit Connections" dialogue is completely
> > normal, IPv4, DHCP for everything etc.
> >
> > The LAN interface is an onboard Intel e1000. The kernel module is
> > loaded. Running "ifup eth0" (after "ifdown") times out after 90 seconds.
>
> It sounds as if the system isn't getting a DHCP reply for some reason. If
> I was having the problem I would use ifconfig -a to find out what state
> the network was in, and would try service iptables stop service ip6tables
> stop and setenforce 0 before trying again (disable IPv4 and IPv6 firewalls
> and disable selinux which might each be interfering with the DHCP
> process).
>
>  	Michael Young

Thanks. I did all that and the network came up. Now to figure out which
is the critical part, but at least it means that it's not the driver,
which I was afraid of.

BTW the Live CD has exactly the same problem. I don't understand why
people aren't screaming about this. It's a very ordinary machine with
very standard hardware.

I'm doing a "yum update" right now and hoping it will magically fix
itself.

poc