Fresh install, no network

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 03:36:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 19:46 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 08:57:14PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 18:15 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > > You should have a better chance for some meaningfull feedback if you
> > > will look at /var/log/messages and/or try 'nmcli'.
> >
> > nmcli just says it's not connected.
>
> Well, 'man nmcli' describes a number of commands; 'status' and 'con'
> with further options usually have the best chances to give you some
> insights.  This is not a place to quote the whole 'man nmcli'.

The whole manpage doesn't say a lot, and the default is to give the
connection status which I just commented on.

> > /var/log/messages appears to show a
> > DHCP problem (it sends a series of DISCOVER packets at increasing
> > intervals and then times out).
>
> Are you blocking DHCP responses on a firewall?  It is difficult to
> guess what is happening without sitting at your console.

As I said in another message, iptables is disabled, as is ip6tables.
Also SElinux.

> The first "sanity check" is to configure your network interface
> static to make sure that the basic hardware/driver are healthy.
> One thing at a time.

That's fine, however the only effect of configuring a manual IP (outside
the pool managed by the DHCP server, which is also the router), plus
netmask, router etc. is that nmcli now says "connected"
and /var/log/messages no longer has DHCP errors, but pinging the router
gets me "Destination unreachable" and several dropped packets.

poc