F14, fresh install catapi-common

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 2 21:47:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 05:36:17PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> I figure I'll see if this is a Just Me issue.  I probably won't have
> time to follow up on a bug report, since this is a machine I use for
> work.
>
> I went to install rdesktop, and it listed catapi-common as a dependency,
> (which is bloat, see below.)
>
> That hung yum.  I eventually tried rpm -Uvvh catapi-common and it has
> hung for about an hour so far.  It hung at getent group ctapiusers,
> eventually got past that and has been hanging for the last 40 minutes or
> so on groupadd -r ctapiusers.
>
> I just copied over the rdesktop binary from an F13 installation and ran
> it without a problem.  Meaning there's no need for ctapi-common.
>
> I'm extremely busy this week, and really don't have time to follow
> up--I'm letting this rpm -Uvvh run over night, we'll see.

Ok, to reply to my own message--it has something to do with some ldap
breakage.  Removing ldap as a source of authentication lets it install
without problem.  With ldap authentication, for some reason which I'll
have to track down one of these days, ldap authentication made adduser
and groupadd stop working, though authenticating against the ldap server
isn't a problem.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: I can't put it off any longer. I have to meet my
terrible fate.
Giles: What?
Buffy: Biology.