yum upgarding

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 12:40:57 UTC 2010

Adam Pribyl <pribyl <at> lowlevel.cz> writes:

> I am in the middle of the old way, however I tried it as per the wiki
> page:
> yum clean all # cleans up everything
> # skrip rpm key import as there is no link for F13
> yum update yum # ok, no updates, however it loads all the cache files!
> yum --releasever=14 update --skip-broken
> # just offers me ordinary F12 updates

It is a pity I did not see your post earlier - we could have a pretty good
test opportunity.

> yum --releasever=14 update --skip-broken
Well, you said you wanted F12 to F13, but you have --releasever=14. Typo (you
copied it as an example) ?

> # just offers me ordinary F12 updates
I think it does it correctly, proving that it is smarter than given credit for
(I assume it updates the current system first, and then continues with
the requested upgrade ...).
This is a step that should be emphasized in the entire procedure - when you do
manual upgrade, it is essential that the current system is up to date first -
I think putting "yum check-update' and 'yum update' there explicitly would make
this point clearer.
I suspect that some people fail with manual upgrade (via yum) because of that.

Anyway, congrats on your upgraded system "the old way", but next time do not
rush, do some more debugging and be rewarded :-)

JB