Virtually impossible to keep load under 0.5 on idle desktop with F14+kms

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Mon Nov 8 03:55:37 UTC 2010

Hi,
I just made a fresh install of Fedora 14 and it seems that KMS+gnome is a
bit of a cpu hog. I can boot into runlevel 3 and the load will move towards
0 but when I move to runlevel 5 and logging in the system always has a load
of 0.5-1.0 even without starting any applications. The strange thing is
that I don't see anything suspicious in "top" so I can't even say which
application is causing the load exactly. Also if I boot with "nomodeset" I
don't see this problem (though the desktop becomes completely unusable for
regular work).
Any ideas what might cause this or how I could go about finding out more?
This is a system with an onboard NVidia chip but I'm using a Radeon R770
based card with the defaults ("radeon" driver with no xorg.conf).

Regards,
   Dennis