Virtually impossible to keep load under 0.5 on idle desktop with F14+kms

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:51:26 UTC 2010

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml <at> conversis.de> writes:

Hi,

I noticed that on my F14 32-bit system there is a package installed:

$ yum info nspluginwrapper
Installed Packages
Name        : nspluginwrapper
Arch        : i686
Version     : 1.3.0
Release     : 14.fc14
Size        : 430 k
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : anaconda-InstallationRepo-201010031452.i386
Summary     : A compatibility layer for Netscape 4 plugins
URL         : http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : nspluginwrapper makes it possible to use Netscape 4 compatible
            : plugins compiled for i386 into Mozilla for another architecture,
            : e.g. x86_64.
            :
            : This package consists in:
            :   * npviewer: the plugin viewer
            :   * npwrapper.so: the browser-side plugin
            :   * nspluginplayer: stand-alone NPAPI plugin player
            :   * mozilla-plugin-config: a tool to manage plugins installation
            :     and update

Once I start playing youtube flash video one of its executables, npviewer.bin,
gets activated.
The problem is that when I stop playing youtube, it still is shown in top and
contributing approx. 2-3% CPU, but also in Powertop and contributing approx.
15% to wakeups.

According to:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash
this package is part of 32-bit installation instructions; it is even said that
... a default graphical install of 32-bit Fedora already includes both
nspluginwrapper and ...

As I understand this package is not needed on 32-bit Fedora.
So why is it included at all ?
But even if it is, why is it activated, at least under circumstance described
above ?

As a mater of fact, I removed it (there were no dependencies on it), started
youtube and all was OK.

Am I missing something here, or Fedora distro creators and maintainers are ?

JB