Live CD - luks - lvm2 -- Can't mount encrypted lvm2 logical volume via Live CD

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 15:53:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:29:23 -0500, John wrote:

> > Second thought before I'm afk: If you meant to say that sda6 is an
> > encrypted PV (which builds VG dubby), do you get the same problem for
> > lv_home? And what does dumpe2fs say about the LV's filesystems?
> >

> [root at localhost ~]# dumpe2fs /dev/sda6
> dumpe2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
> dumpe2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda6
> Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock

That's expected, if sda6 is encrypted actually and VG vg_dubby is built
out of the encrypted PV (and the fs is found only on the LVs).
That doesn't answer the questions, however.

What I wondered is what dumpe2fs output you get for lv_home and lv_root?
Since according to the quotes in your original post, LVM was able to
construct the VG and the LVs after you had opened the underlying LUKS
device (sda6 aka "crypt1"). It wouldn't be able to do so, if opening
and creating the crypt1 mapper device failed.

Intersting case though. ;)