a desktop session in rawhide

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Nov 13 03:11:12 UTC 2010

I tried to login on a desktop session in the current rawhide.
It greats me with a big alert about XKB errors.  This alert has
a long text which cannot be copied with a mouse but in any case it
asks for some data which boil down to this:

$ xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "evdev", "evdev", "us", "",
"terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,"
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "evdev", "evdev", "us", "",
"terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,"
$ gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard model
''
$ gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard layouts
@as []
$ gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard options
@as []

After that nautilus does not start, a deskop background is not set
(although background preferences clearly "know" what was expected
only it is ignored), a keyboard is broken and keyboard preferences
settings are a sorry joke as they do not have any options for layout
changes, a sound volume cannot be changed with a mouse (a slider
jumps to 100% when touched and that is it) and everything is slow as
molasses.  A mouse pointer does not move but jerks from time to
time. What gives and is this expected now?  I am not sure even where
to start with bugs filing.

After typing login data to the moment panel menus started to react
it was 125 seconds (you are reading that correctly) of a wall clock
time.  This is on x86_64 machine with
model name      : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 142
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1600.065
It does have "only" half gig of memory on board.

With System->Preferences->Keyboard picked up it took 35 seconds for
a "Keyboard" window to appear and in this windown you can find only
some keypress and cursor blink delays and a keyboard shortcuts for
things like muting sound or launching a calculator.

The first things first.  How to fix now a keyboard layout?  Those
things which were under "Options" in "Layouts" tab in Fedora 13.
Anybody knows?

   Michal