[Fedora QA] #135: Proposed Test Day - TOPIC How about a consideration of the dual boot issues from Fedora 13?

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 20:05:46 UTC 2010

2010/11/24 Fedora QA <trac at fedorahosted.org>:
> #135: Proposed Test Day - TOPIC  How about a consideration of the dual boot
> issues from Fedora 13?
> -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  dramsey   |       Owner:
>      Type:  task      |      Status:  new
>  Component:  Test Day  |     Version:
> Resolution:            |    Keywords:  dual boot
> -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
> Comment (by adamwill):
>
>  we'd likely also want to consider the various ways the Windows
>  partition(s) can be laid out, particularly regarding rescue partitions,
>  which have bitten us in the ass in the past.
>
>  I think it's worth considering both topics, if only so we know exactly how
>  marginal support for detecting other linux distros is :)

I wonder if it would make sense encourage other distributions (and
also Fedora) to install bootloader in MBR, but also in first sector of
boot partition. Why?

Simple scenario:
- you install Ubuntu 50.68 on new disk, you create sda1- / and sda2
/home. Bootloader is installed in MBR and first sector of sda1
- you install Debian 7, you create sda3 - / . Bootloader is installed
in MBR and first sector of sda3. Also chainload to Ubuntu's sda1
bootloader is added, so you can choose Ubuntu in Debian's boot menu
and you get Ubuntu grub menu.
- you install Fedora 80, you create sda4 - /. Bootloader is installed
in MBR and first sector of sda4. There are also two chainloads to
Debian and Ubuntu bootloaders.

Does it make sense?

Kind regards,
Michal