WRT MacBook Air and Fedora

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 17:28:10 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 11:17 AM, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 08:36 PM, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
>
>> OK, I've build a new kernel with the added quirk, and did a quick test.
>> I now get sound from the speakers :-). Alsamixer now shows front
>> speakers.
> NACK, no sound on my MBA3 11.6 ...

Do you still have no sound?

There was a user mentioning on irc a similiar problem on the surface
that is "no sound" with F14 kernels but a working sound with F13 kernel
which has been tracked down and is being dealt with here
http://kyle.fedorapeople.org/kernel/2.6.35.9-62.bz657388.3/x86_64/

You could try that kernel and also check the bits in the dmesg.

ASM_ID=0x%04x <- grep for that printk, and take the (value & 0x38) >> 3
if it's anything but 1, 3, 7, 5, then it could potentially be a problem.

If it it is still not fixed it would be interesting to see if you get
any sound from kernels .32 .33 .34 to spot potential regression ( the
above is .35 ) .36 from koji and the .37 from here
http://kyle.fedorapeople.org/kernel/2.6.37-0.rc3.git2.1/x86_64/ to see
if it is fixed in future releases.

Run aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav to check for sound..

You might also want to try muting/unmuting in alsamixer and see if that
helps that is if you have not tried that already...

However the most likely cause for no sound on the Air is because of the
lack of pinouts  for the Air but the above are far fetch worth a try,
see if you get lucky and your sound problems are fixed..

JBG