updates improvements/changes ideas

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 29 19:54:15 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson <awilliam <at> redhat.com> writes:

> > > * allow anon karma to count.
> >
> > Or maybe it counts, but counts less (.5 karma or something).
>
> Something else to consider here is to make more people login; I suspect
> relatively few people are actually doing testing who don't have a FAS
> account, but I think we could make the login link more prominent, and
> try harder to get people to log in (have a big scare-step when posting
> anonymous feedback which says 'your feedback will not count unless you
> log in!' and requires you to re-confirm to submit the feedback
> anonymously; a nag screen, basically.

I think a login should always be required. If anonymous karma counts, then some
long-term contributors may start depending on that and never create an account.
If someone then starts DOS'ing Bodhi and forces anonymous karma and new login
accounts to be disabled, these contributors will have to each contact someone to
set up an account so they can carry on, which will waste everyone's time and
cause a delay in getting packages pushed. If the same thing happens with login
required, then only new accounts have to be disabled and existing users are
unaffected. Besides, a lot of anonymous karma probably comes from people who
don't know that it doesn't count, and would create an account if they did.
Requiring a login would generate at least some additional usable karma for that
reason - maybe not as much as allowing anonymous karma to count, but without
making Bodhi vulnerable.