updates improvements/changes ideas

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Nov 30 16:05:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 07:48 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > I think this is a bad idea. Just insert a null- %check section (package
> > gets a +1 from provenpackager, add a (pseudo-anonymous) +1 vote and
> > voila: package goes directly to stable.
>
> I think it is reasonable to assume our packagers aren't going to be
> malicious. While someone could copy over an empty check section without
> realizing what it does, this should be caught in the initial package review.

We can test for the presence of a %check ... and whether it contains
"something" with an rpmlint test.  But I think the point here is that
the presence of %check doesn't mean the package should get a free pass
into stable.  It can however, be another positive data point collected
while running the package update acceptance test plan [1].

Anyone interested in drafting a quick rpmlint test for this?  My initial
inspection shows that creating a new python rpmlint test to check for a
non-empty %check wouldn't be terribly difficult </famous_last_words>.
To get started ... let's file a ticket [2] and start the discussion on
autoqa-devel at lists.fedorahosted.org.

Thanks,
James

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Package_Update_Acceptance_Test_Plan