Slightly unusual test install case for f14 beta on a laptop

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:46:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 16:16 +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
>
>> This presumes the key is already formatted with a boot flag set. The
>> documentation is just not clear enough to be easily understandable
>> even by experienced Fedora users (I have been with Fedora since its
>> inception!)
>
> And you don't know the umount command? really? holy crap, we're doing
> better than I thought. :)

OK cynicism aside, the point is that there are different ways to
"disconnect" a usbkey from being a mounted icon on the desktop -
umount is one option, and right clicking the desktop icon and
selecting from the available choices is another - to a novice there
should be no reason to decide between one or other way to do it - but
one way works and another does not - that is not satisfactory for an
advanced linux distribution like Fedora and it should be made to work
as well as possible and as easily as possible for users to install it,
whichever install methods is used, surely?

In this situation either the system should be "fixed" so that all
options for removing the mounted partition should work when then
writing the key to prepare it as an install medium - or the
documentation should make it clear that one way works but another does
not!

Anyway I understand that the documentation for F14 is being
re-written- but also there appears to be an anaconda bug for this
install case which makes wrong defaults for writing the MBR. Hopefully
that will be fixed at some point also (this has actually been a bug
since at least f11/f12 timeframe when I first came across the issue.

--
mike c