[SOLVED] Re: F14 Branched -- hard freezes

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 20:17:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 16:02 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 14:17 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Martin Sourada
> > <martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Ok, that wasn't it. It froze in gnome-shell as well. In the exactly same
> > > moment when external USB HDD was waking up (initiated by ls -l on some
> > > folder in it). So over night I run full fsck on it. No errors reported,
> > > but right now it seems to work (at least I wasn't able to reproduce the
> > > freeze in single user mode, I'll see if it appears again in init 5).
> > >
> > > /var/log/Xorg.0.log* and /var/log/messages show no traces about the
> > > freeze.
> > >
> > So it appeared again, after several hours of usage (so it's much
> > better than it initially was), this time in gnome-screensaver. The USB
> > drive appeared to be running, so I guess kernel was frozen as well.
> >
> So, after slowly eliminating possible causes, I came to (uncertain)
> conclusion that f14 kernel does not like my network card (i.e. unless I
> missed something, the only time I wasn't able to reproduce this yet is
> without network cable plugged in). It also seems the freezes have got a
> lot less frequent (but that might be purely coincidental).
>
> Kernel:
> kernel-2.6.35.4-28.fc14.i686
>
> Network card:
> 06:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
> (rev 02)

Just FYI that I finally updated to a kernel that does not seem to suffer
from this (which is sadly in koji only):

$ uname -r
2.6.35.6-36.fc14.i686.PAE

$ uptime
 22:11:38 up 3 days,  4:19, 10 users,  load average: 1.40, 1.67, 1.80

Not sure if PAE could play any role in this -- I installed the PAE
version just for the heck of it (I don't have that much of memory to be
actually in need of the PAE)...

Martin