F12 critical path testing

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Oct 11 03:09:55 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 18:49:10 -0400,
  Timothy Davis <cpuobsessed at gmail.com> wrote:
> When a critical path sits for any more than four weeks I suggest the
> maintainer include test files and test cases
> to help any tester. Things such as scripts/programs to test with, or
> scenarios like do this and check that.

For example for squashfs, the bug was hard to test. Kevin saw it, but I
didn't. We weren't sure exactly what changed that started breaking things
for the nightly composes that Kevin is doing. I was more interested in
making sure there weren't regressions than making sure that the bug was
really fixed.

Having automated tests or even test plans would be useful for any package.
But critical path packages are perhaps more worth doing this for. Maybe
QA can slowly work through the list working with the package owners
to try to develop reasonable tests.