Comparing other distros kernels to Fedora.

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 19:46:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 21:39 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> I've downloaded the Ubuntu 10.10 LiveCD which uses kernel 2.6.35 and
> suspend and resume works fine in Ubuntu too.
>
> What difference in the Fedora kernels could be causing this problem?

One more triaging step I'd recommend is to try an upstream kernel of the
same vintage. If that works, you know that some change Fedora adds is
breaking it. If it doesn't work, you know that Ubuntu and SUSE both have
a patch that Fedora doesn't which fixes it.

(I suspect this may come down to graphics code; Fedora generally carries
rather newer upstream versions of intel, nouveau and radeon than other
distros, and these can introduce regressions).

> I know it seems strange to some, but suspend and resume are one of the
> most important features for me on my laptop.  I can (and have) put up
> with (a lot) less than optimal video, no sound and even wireless
> network issues, but without a functioning suspend and resume it's
> quite arduous having to wait for a system to shutdown and reboot.
> Each to their own I guess, but I'd really like this to work and it
> appears that it does work on other distros which makes me wonder what
> Fedora isn't doing right.

It's not strange, suspend/resume is critical to most laptop users. It's
just pretty hard to diagnose and fix.