RC1 Install Report.

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Oct 14 18:09:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 07:23 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> I upgraded my office computer to a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
> and Intel I5, 4 GB 1333 mHz ddr3.

Thanks for the feedback, but just a reminder that the release candidates
have not yet been built.  A assume your results are against the 'test
compose #1' TC1.  The Release candidate (RC1) is expected Thu 2010-10-21
[1].

> The 64 bit install still goes to a blank screen with an ATI 5670.
>
> I changed the display board to an Nvidia 9600GT because I
> didn't like the ATI with Win 7.   Incredibly, the default 64 bit
> graphics install now goes to a blank screen.

Can you initiate the bug process so we can work the specifics of the
display problems?  When in doubt ...
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems

> I was able to install RC1 using the basic video option.
> Installation with a manual disk layout was nominal.
> The system>add/remove software now installs software.
> Network manager still doesn't bother to start the network.

If you are doing a media-based non-network install (aka DVD or CD), you
need to tell the installer that you want networking enabled by default
on the installed system (see
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html#sn-Netconfig-x86-edit).

If you are doing a network-based installation, networking is enabled by
default on the installed system.

> The basic video driver does not provide a menu choice
> for 1080x1920 monitor resolution.
>
> I like the new Kryptonite crystal artwork.

That's great, definitely share your kudos with the fedora design-team
[2].

Thanks,
James

[1]