TC1.1 Live CD - ATI Rage Mobility chipset missing in R128 driver

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Thu Oct 14 20:09:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 10:34 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> Try this driver build:
>
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorg-x11-drv-r128/6.8.1/5.fc15/
>
> Download that on the live system, install it, and then log out of X and
> back in so the server will restart and pick up the new driver.

Adam,

Thanks for the suggestion, but no joy. I booted the Live CD to runlevel
3, logged in as root, scp'd the new driver from a neighbor system,
installed it using 'yum localinstall...', then ran init 5. The same
tearing distorts the screen even with the new 6.8.1-5 driver.

You said X drivers don't consider PCI revision, only vendor and device
ID. At http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=240 I find two
devices with Chip Number "Mobility M3 AGP":

0x4C45	Chip Description:	Rage Mobility M3 AGP
0x4C46	Chip Number:		Mobility M3 AGP
	Chip Description:	0x4c46
	Notes:			DRIVER

In /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids I found:

        4c45  Rage Mobility M3 AGP
        4c46  Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x
                1002 0155  IBM Thinkpad A22p
                1014 0155  IBM Thinkpad A22p
                1028 00b1  Latitude C600

Do you suppose the aty128fb.ko kernel driver contains the correct
parameter info for one of the device numbers but not the other (e.g.
1002 but not 1014)? The display tearing problem I'm seeing goes back a
long time (prior to F7 for sure). Could we have been missing half a loaf
all this time?

James MacKenzie has experienced the same problem on his A22p. The only
solution I've found is the xorg.conf file I attached to my first msg.
Before I hacked that together I had to use the VESA driver, which is now
abominably slow.

A key number in my xorg.conf file is the hsync value found by the gtf
utility: 74.52 kHz. That's 501 Hz higher than the default value listed
in Xorg.0.log. The difference is blocking a 1600x1200 display.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL