!! NVIDIA WORKS !!!

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Oct 15 17:17:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:09:21AM -0500, Jim Bennett wrote:

> > > Please don't break it for a while.
> >
> > It isn't like people try to break it, but when adding changes nobody
> > (rightfully) cares whether it breaks it or not, its NVIDIA's job to
> > unbreak it.

I've never quite understood this logic.  If it's working, there is a
change in Fedora, and it doesn't work, this is NVidia's job to fix?
(While agreeing, obviously, that people aren't deliberately attempting
to break it.)

I think Fedora needs NVidia support, as it probably has 30 percent of
the market or so (pulling figures out of the air, but seems today's
video cards are either ATI, NVidia, or Intel), more than NVidia needs
Fedora.  (A quick google indicates that for Q2 2010, it was Intel 54.3
percent, AMD 24.5 and NVidia with 19.8, which comes to 98.6.

There has to be a pun here but all I can think of is a song that was out
before most of you were born.   (For those who use metric, i.e., most of
the world, the pun has to do with the fact that 98.6 is body temperature
in Farenheit.)

> How do you boot into text mode. I have used linux a long time but I
> don't know how do that.

Change the runlevel to 3.  I'm not sure if systemd will change this, but
at present, edit /etc/inittab and find the line that says

id:5:initdefault:

Change that 5 to a 3.

--
Scott Robbins