RPC idmapd?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 22:43:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:01:19 -0600
Orion Poplawski wrote:

> > Anyone know why RPC idmapd would take around 30 seconds to start
> > when booting fedora 14 from scratch, yet starts instantly if I stop
> > then start the service after the system is up?
>
> Presumably some service it needs is not yet available.  You might try setting:
>
> RPCIDMAPDARGS=-vvv

Thanks! I gave it a try, and it spits out a message about the NFSv4 domain
at the end of the 30 second wait. Here's the boot log:

		Welcome to Fedora
Starting udev: [ OK ]
Setting hostname zooty.my.lan:	[  OK  ]
Setting up Logical Volume Management:	No volume groups found
[  OK  ]
Checking filesystems
SPARE: clean, 281989/4104000 files, 2096390/16384000 blocks
ZOOTY: clean, 129830/30007296 files, 42740901/119997517 blocks
[  OK  ]
Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:	[  OK  ]
Mounting local filesystems:  [	OK  ]
Enabling local filesystem quotas:  [  OK  ]
Enabling /etc/fstab swaps:  [  OK  ]
Entering non-interactive startup
Bringing up loopback interface:	 [  OK	]
Bringing up interface eth0:  [	OK  ]
Bringing up interface br0:  [  OK  ]
Starting portreserve: [	 OK  ]
Starting system logger: [  OK  ]
Enabling ondemand cpu frequency scaling: [  OK	]
Starting irqbalance: [	OK  ]
Starting rpcbind: [  OK	 ]
Starting NFS statd: [  OK  ]
Starting RPC idmapd: rpc.idmapd: libnfsidmap: Unable to determine the NFSv4 domain; Using 'localdomain' as the NFSv4 domain which means UIDs will be mapped to the 'Nobody-User' user defined in /etc/idmapd.conf

rpc.idmapd: libnfsidmap: using (default) domain: localdomain

rpc.idmapd: libnfsidmap: loaded plugin /usr/lib64/libnfsidmap/nsswitch.so for method nsswitch

[  OK  ]
Starting system message bus: [	OK  ]
Starting cups: [  OK  ]
Mounting other filesystems:  [	OK  ]
Starting acpi daemon: [	 OK  ]
Starting HAL daemon: [	OK  ]
Retrigger failed udev events[  OK  ]
Starting ntpd: [  OK  ]
Starting sendmail: [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client: [  OK  ]
Starting console mouse services: [  OK	]
Starting crond: [  OK  ]
[atOK 6]2m	 OK  ]
Starting libvirtd daemon: [  OK	 ]

I'm running the same service in fedora 13 with no delay at boot.
My resolv.conf and idmapd.conf files are identical, both
systems have the same static IP defined the same way. Don't
know why f14 takes 30 seconds to not find the domain name...

I guess I can explicitly give it in the idmapd.conf file
and maybe get rid of the delay, but I can't figure out
what is different.