Unable To Complete Fedora 14 HTTP Install

Bob Cochran bcochran13 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 17 16:49:20 UTC 2010

On 10/17/2010 07:15 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 23:42 -0400, Bob Cochran wrote:
>

>> Then I clicked 'next' and the dependency checking starts....and up comes
>> a warning dialog telling me that dependencies are missing. Clicking the
>> Details button reveals a list of packages that require other packages
>> (often the same package name is repeated a few times in the list of
>> missing dependencies.) For example, ImageMagick requires an libxml2
>> package that is missing, and the ImageMagick warning line is repeated a
>> few times in the details list. Several other packages make the list,
>> too. I have the choice of either exiting the install, or clicking the
>> back button to adjust my package selection, or of continuing to install
>> without the dependencies.
>>
>> I decide to click the Back button. That brought me to the package
>> selection screen. On that screen, I clicked the Back button again, to
>> bring me back to the installation repo list. Here I checked off the
>> middle choice in the repo list ("Fedora 14 updates", if memory serves
>> me.) A dialog box comes up stating it is gathering information about the
>> repo, and it gathers for a very long, long time! I then click the 'next'
>> button, which becomes shaded, and a freeze up happens. Things are locked
>> up for a minute or two, then if I recall, a dialog box appears and
>> informs me that an unexpected crash happened. I'm asked to report the
>> crash. I want to do this, and I think a list of reporting choices was
>> offered. I checked off Bugzilla, but when prompted for my username and
>> password, I realize I've forgotten my password.
> At the point above, instead of clicking the "back" button and redoing
> it, just continuing the install and let it do a skip-broken type thing
> and install.  Then you can finish installing and/or figure out what
> didn't and see what the dep issue is.  AT least you have a working
> system at that point.  Not much you can do about dep problems until
> packages are rebuilt to satisfy them.

Yeah I guess I should, Mike. A part of my problem is how to "repair" a
broken package installation after continuing even without the
dependencies. Is there an automated process that can check every package
for missing dependencies post-install, and get them fixed? So there is
some amount of hesitation here. Also I'm Java-distracted. I am trying to
focus on learning Java programming these days because of where my
daytime job is going.

Bob