Release criteria proposal: release notes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Oct 18 23:36:11 UTC 2010

> > I don't think this *in itself* is a criteria issue, in that whatever the
> > final spin-kickstarts package turns out to be is fairly arbitrary,
> > right? There aren't specific requirements for the package itself as
> > there are for the release-notes and fedora-release packages, AFAIK,
> > there isn't some specific switch in the package that has to be flipped
> > to 'release' state. So I think it's better to stick with the desktop
> > criteria here - any need to change spin-kickstarts should stem from a
> > breakage of the desktop criteria.
>
> Actually there are switches that need to be thrown, to point the repos
> to the right place.  Also we need to make sure that any modifications
> made to the kickstart scripts used to produce the release are actually
> put into the package and bundled with the release.  The
> fedora-install-fedora kickstart also comes from the same package, so we
> can't /just/ rely on the desktop criteria.

Aha, OK.

> > A fedora-release package and a generic-release package appropriately
> > versioned and containing the correct names and information for a final
> > Fedora release (as opposed to a pre-release) must be present in the
> > release repository.
>
> Need verbage about the correct repo configurations as well, eg
> fedora-updates enabled, fedora-updates-testing disabled, and a 7d
> metadata timeout enabled on the fedora repo.

So, rehash the three proposed criteria:

* The final release notes from the Documentation team must be present in
the release repository in packaged form (both fedora-release-notes and
generic-release-notes)

* A spin-kickstarts package which contains the exact kickstart files
used to build the official live images must be present in the release
repository. The included kickstarts must define the correct set of
release repositories

* A fedora-release package and a generic-release package appropriately
versioned and containing the correct names, information and repository
configuration for a final Fedora release (as opposed to a pre-release)
must be present in the release repository

(I'm not sure the criteria is the correct place to document what
'correct repository configuration' ought to be, it results in a very
long-feeling criterion).