Fedora C14 beta on Magny-cours

stan gryt2 at q.com
Tue Oct 19 16:04:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:25:57 -0300
Victor Calvo <vcalvin47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to install FC 13 and also FC 14 on a mother board TYAN S8230
> motherboard + Opteron X8 equipped with a brand new SATA disk .The
> darn FC14 keeps on reseting.
> It passes a few initial steps but cannot load the vmlinux. Tyan
> support group has not released yet the OFFICIAL Systems supported by
> S8230,

Someone will probably need more information before they can help you.
I am copying this to the test list so that the most likely people
that can help you will see it.

As I understand your problem, you install F14, it installs without
problem, but then when you reboot after the install, it fails to boot.
It continues to reset over and over again.

I have seen similar behavior when the kernel could not get the video
working.  When I hit Ctl-C, I was dropped to a console, where I could
log in and examine the logs.  Can you do the same?  What do you see
in /var/log/messages?

Alternatively, you could edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the
defaults so that there is a timeout before booting.   Then edit the
kernel line and add a 3 to the end so you boot to text mode.  Login as
root, and try the startx command.  If it fails, look
in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see why X is failing.