X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas!

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 18:36:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 14:26 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> James McKenzie has suggested I post this here: there's a longer thread
> on this same issue, with the same subject line on the Fedora list, if
> anyone cares to read it

If you're talking about the log here:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-October/384602.html

Then the X server is starting just fine, it's your desktop session
that's broken.

When in doubt, boot to runlevel 3 and run "X -retro".  You should see
the classic ugly stipple and X cursor, and control-alt-backspace will
return you to a command prompt.  If that works, then X works, and you
need to figure out why your desktop won't load.

- ajax