X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas!

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Tue Oct 19 20:26:59 UTC 2010

On 10/19/2010 4:02 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> Then the X server is starting just fine, it's your desktop session
>> >  Thanks for that. I had suspected there could be an issue with the
>> >  desktop not starting properly. I probably should have posed the question
>> >  on the fedora-kde list.
> at a guess, you may have desktop effects enabled in KDE which worked
> fine with the proprietary driver but don't work with nouveau.
except that the problem started while the proprietary driver was still
installed - I removed it to make sure it wasn't an nVidia problem; also,
beyond whatever desktop effects are enabled as defaults, I almost never
enable any of them; if anyone would like to see the document I created
with all the logs I thought could be pertinent, it's here (warning, it's
a big document!)

http://www.tehogeeservices.com/files/Fresh_bootup_logs_101014.pdf

it's been a mind-twister, this issue

--