Rawhide installation question

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon Oct 25 19:43:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 02:57 +0800, Qiang Li wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 11:37 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 02:14 +0800, Qiang Li wrote:
> >
> > > My question is what option I have if the first two ways are not
> > > applicable? Ask for boot.iso that contains daily anaconda build from
> > > James Laska, or using live installer after fedora 14 is released and
> > > before fedora 15 has branched?
> >
> > Install Fedora 14, then install the fedora-release-rawhide package to
> > provide the Rawhide repos, enable them, and do 'yum update'.
> > --
> > Adam Williamson
> > Fedora QA Community Monkey
> > IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> > http://www.happyassassin.net
> >

> Hi, Adam,
>
> As I mentioned above,
>
> > 1) Direct Rawhide install via standalone Anaconda
> > 2) Direct Rawhide install via Live installer
> > 3) Yum update from a test release
> > 4) Yum update from previous release
> >
> > I prefer the first two methods.

Your preferences are no longer available.

1) If you'd like to try installing rawhide directly, you're welcome to
roll your own images (to get started, check out
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_build_a_Rawhide_ISO_image_for_testing)

2) Same as above, if you'd like to roll your own live image for Rawhide,
check out the process we use when creating images for test days
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/Live_Image)

> I don't like updating from a test release or previous release, because
> it takes too much time, bandwidth and it's hard to solve broken
> dependency.

I'm not sure the previous options work around these issues.  Rawhide is
not guaranteed to be free to dependency failures.

> What kind of way do you use to install a fresh fedora rawhide?

Just as Adam documented, I install F-13 (or current F-14), install
fedora-release-rawhide and yum --enablerepo=rawhide update.

Thanks,
James