Rawhide installation question

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Oct 25 20:46:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 15:43 -0400, James Laska wrote:

> > I don't like updating from a test release or previous release, because
> > it takes too much time, bandwidth and it's hard to solve broken
> > dependency.
>
> I'm not sure the previous options work around these issues.  Rawhide is
> not guaranteed to be free to dependency failures.

Yeah, I'd say it's actually easier to deal with broken deps by doing the
install-stable-and-update-to-rawhide method than installing rawhide
directly, because the installer really doesn't give you many tools to
deal with broken deps. And if the broken deps are a big enough problem,
we won't actually be able to compose a working Rawhide installer.

> > What kind of way do you use to install a fresh fedora rawhide?
>
> Just as Adam documented, I install F-13 (or current F-14), install
> fedora-release-rawhide and yum --enablerepo=rawhide update.

yeah, that's how I'd do it. But actually, I don't run Rawhide anywhere.
I tend to switch to the upcoming release soon after the branch event.