QA:Testcase_desktop_login

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Tue Oct 26 11:27:38 UTC 2010

I tried to do this test case:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_login

It surprised me that neither firstboot nor system-config-users allow
to create users with non-ascii characters in either username or password.

I would suspect that unix username must be ascii-only, but I would
suspect password to be arbitrary. I tried to add user from root shell
and it works with non-ascii password.

Why do Fedora tools have this limitation? Is this the expected behavior?
I can still validate the test case by using ascii characters relocated
on some keyboard layout (for example Czech layout has different position
for 'Y', 'Z' or '+' than US layout). But I have a feeling this test case
was written with the expectation of using other than just ascii characters.

Also the initial hint with British Pound character is invalid in
Fedora 14. British Pound is not in ASCII and therefore can't be part
of the password.

Any hints?