QA:Testcase_desktop_login

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Tue Oct 26 14:16:59 UTC 2010

----- "James Laska" <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 07:27 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > I tried to do this test case:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_login
> >
> > It surprised me that neither firstboot nor system-config-users
> allow
> > to create users with non-ascii characters in either username or
> password.
> >
> > I would suspect that unix username must be ascii-only, but I would
> > suspect password to be arbitrary. I tried to add user from root
> shell
> > and it works with non-ascii password.
>
> You mean a non-root ascii username with a password containing
> non-ascii
> characters?

Exactly:

# useradd test
# passwd test
Changing password for user test.
New password: ěščřžý
Retype new password: ěščřžý
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.

> > Why do Fedora tools have this limitation? Is this the expected
> behavior?
> > I can still validate the test case by using ascii characters
> relocated
> > on some keyboard layout (for example Czech layout has different
> position
> > for 'Y', 'Z' or '+' than US layout). But I have a feeling this test
> case
> > was written with the expectation of using other than just ascii
> characters.
> >
> > Also the initial hint with British Pound character is invalid in
> > Fedora 14. British Pound is not in ASCII and therefore can't be
> part
> > of the password.
>
> I'm not aware of any intentional changes restricting entering and
> using
> international non-ascii characters in user passwords.
>
> If you create the non-ascii password from the console (using passwd
> command), are you able to enter that password in gdm and/or
> gnome-screensaver?  If that works, I think we need to file a bugs
> against system-config-users and firstboot.

Yes, I'm able to login in gdm with non-ascii password. I'll look
at the bug reports then, and create a new one if necessary.

Thanks,
Kamil