NVidia Driver question???

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Oct 27 06:13:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 23:09:31 -0700,
  Rob Healey <robhealey1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to know if it is better to use the supplied video drivers by fe
> xorg-x11-drv-? or would it be better to use the video driver from NVidia?
> My video card is:
>
> nVidia Corporation NV44 [Quadro NVS 285] (rev a1
>
> Would anyone also be able to tell me if I will be able to gnome-shell/ gnome
> 3 with this video card as it currently says that I will need 3d acceleration
> now when I try to go to Desktop Effects if I were to use the NVidia supplied
> drivers?  I do not even know if it would be wise to use the NVidia drivers
> anyway?

Try Nouveau first and if that works for you, stick with that. Nouveau provides
limited 3D support. I think you still need to install
mesa-dri-drivers-experimental to get 3D for Nouveau.

If you need more performance or if 3D is buggy for the stuff you want to
do, then try the nVidia drivers using rpmfusion packages.