NVidia Driver question???

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 27 06:58:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 23:30 -0700, Rob Healey wrote:

>         Try Nouveau first and if that works for you, stick with that.
>         Nouveau provides
>         limited 3D support. I think you still need to install
>         mesa-dri-drivers-experimental to get 3D for Nouveau.
>
> You said to try nouveau first, where would I get the drivers for that?
> is it the default driver from xorg?  If not, where and how would I
> install and use it?

Yes, it's the default driver. You're using it already.

> I know that mesa-dri-drivers-experimental is a package that I can
> download and install from fedora correct?

Yes, Bruno's simply suggesting you install the
mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package, which will enable the 3D support
of nouveau. It's not enabled by default because it's, well,
experimental. :)

>         If you need more performance or if 3D is buggy for the stuff
>         you want to
>         do, then try the nVidia drivers using rpmfusion packages.
>
> If I need to go to this route, how would I know which package to
> install from rpmfusion???

There are instructions at Fusion:

http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

there's still a bug with F14 support, though, which isn't documented
there yet. Try nouveau first, anyway. If it doesn't work, someone can
help you off-list with nvidia.