NVidia Driver question???

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 07:45:43 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 10/27/10, Rob Healey <robhealey1 at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Rob Healey <robhealey1 at gmail.com>
Subject: NVidia Driver question???
To: "Fedora Development List" <test at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 2:09 AM

Greeting All:

First of all, I would like to say thank you for whatever information that you can give me...

I would like to know if it is better to use the supplied video drivers by fe xorg-x11-drv-? or would it be better to use the video driver from NVidia?  My video card is:

nVidia Corporation NV44 [Quadro NVS 285] (rev a1

Would anyone also be able to tell me if I will be able to gnome-shell/ gnome 3 with this video card as it currently says that I will need 3d acceleration now when I try to go to Desktop Effects if I were to use the NVidia supplied drivers?  I do not even know if it would be wise to use the NVidia drivers anyway?

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

I've never had any problems with the manufacturer's drivers for Nvidia.  You need to check and see if your card is supported with the current Nvidia driver release.  If not, you will have to go with nouveau.
--LX