TC1 torrent?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Oct 29 18:05:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 13:26:53 -0430,
  Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/10 12:06 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 09:14:19 -0430,
> >   Patrick O'Callaghan<pocallaghan at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >>Trying to download TC1 right now but it's snail-slow. Has anyone put up
> >>a torrent yet or do I have to bide my time till the official release? I
> >>was hoping to do the update this weekend.
> >I think you would do better to just grab the netinstall/boot iso from
> >the development repositories and then do a network install. There should
> >be several good mirrors and you only need to grab what you need, not the
> >whole install image.
> That's all very well but it means having to wait for the new stuff
> to download instead of dl'ing in the background while continuing to
> work. And before anyone asks, yes I would like to use preupgrade but
> I need to grow my /boot partition and the existence of LVM in the
> rest of the disk makes this harder than it needs to be. One of the
> things I intend to do is dump LVM and use direct partitioning, so I
> prefer to have the full distro available just in case I have to do a
> reinstall.

The location of the RCs (RC1 is the same as final) was announced indirectly
on the test lists. You could grab that. But it may be slow.

I have copies of Live Desktop ISO for i386 and Live Games ISO for both arches.
It doesn't sound like you want those if you are doing an update.

If you have some place to host it, you could get a local mirror of the
release from say mirrors.kernel.org and then point to that when doing the
update. You'll need to download a lot more data (about 23 GB for one arch),
but it can run in the background.